Top 5 festive foods to help you beat stress
Read our round up of the top 5 festive foods which can help you beat stress and enjoy a healthy and happy Christmas!
A traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings can help you control stress (unless you're in charge of cooking it, of course). Here are the top five festive foods which can help you enjoy a healthy and happy Christmas:
- Turkey - contains the amino acid L-tryptophan, which triggers the release of serotonin, a feel-good brain chemical.
- Green vegetables - green vegetables like sprouts, broccoli and kale are powerhouses of vitamins which help replenish our bodies in times of stress.
- Salmon - diets high in omega-3 fatty acids protect against heart disease. Research has found that omega-3s keep the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline from peaking.
- Nuts - almonds are packed with B and E vitamins, which help boost your immune system, and walnuts and pistachios can help lower blood pressure.
- Oranges - research has found that vitamin C helps reduce stress and return blood pressure and cortisol to normal levels after a stressful situation. Vitamin C is also well-known for boosting your immune system.
More tips to help you deal with stress:
- Take regular exercise
- Eat regular meals throughout the day, which will keep your blood sugar stable (when blood sugar is low, mental, physical, and emotional energy decreases, and stress increases)
- Avoid caffeine as it can cause anxiety and raise stress hormone levels.
Our Wellbeing Zone
For more health and wellbeing tips and advice, visit our Wellbeing Zone, provided by the Police Mutual Foundation. The free online tool is designed to help members of the Police Service, their friends and family achieve a healthy, stress-free and balanced lifestyle. Create an account by clicking 'Sign Up' and using the following organisation code: PMF2.