When we use ‘we’, ‘our’, or ‘us’ in this policy, we mean one or more of the Police Mutual Group of companies listed below:
- Police Mutual Assurance Society Limited: provides savings, investments & wellbeing activities
- PMGI Limited: a general insurance and credit broker
- PMHC Limited: offers a healthcare scheme
- Mortgage Excellence Plc: provides advice on mortgages, life & critical illness insurance and income protection
- PM Advisory Limited: provides an independent financial advice service
If you have any questions about this Policy you can contact our Data Protection Officer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to them at the following address:
Compliance Department, Alexandra House, Queen Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6QS.
Our data promise
We are committed to respecting and protecting your data, here is our promise to you:
- We promise to be open and honest with you about how your data is used
- We promise never to sell your data
- We promise to make it easy for you to access and correct your data
- We promise only to contact you about the things we think will be of interest to you – if you’ve ever had enough, just tell us and we’ll stop
- We promise to have effective protection in place to keep your data safe and secure
When do we obtain information about you?
We collect information about you when you enquire about or make an application for one of our products or use one of our services. We also collect information if you make changes to a product, make a claim or update your personal information.
We collect information about you if you are named by the policy/plan holder as a beneficiary.
We collect information when you complete customer surveys, provide feedback, subscribe to newsletters or participate in our competitions and promotions.
What information do we collect about you?
The information we collect about you varies depending on the reason for the interaction but may include:
- Personal information and contact details such as name, date of birth, National Insurance Number and address
- Job title and employment details
- Lifestyle and social circumstances
- Information about your physical and mental health
- Information about family members
- Details of when you contact us and when we contact you
We may supplement the data we collect about you with information we obtain from third parties. Before we use this information, we ensure that the third party is permitted to share such information with us.
How will we use the information we collect?
We will use the information we collect about you in the following ways:
- To respond to an enquiry or provide you with a quotation
- To provide you with the requested product and administer that product
- To provide you with one of our services and to ensure that we maintain that service appropriately
- If you use one of our advice services, to inform the advice we give you
- To notify you about important changes or developments to the features and operation of products and services
- To carry out market and brand research and analysis
- To develop, test the performance of and manage our brands, products, services and internal processes
- To develop new products, services and propositions
- To inform you about products, services, offers, competitions and promotions
- To administer offers, competitions and promotions
- To show you selected content and advertisements via social media (for example, using Facebook Custom Audiences and Google Custom Match). You can use the preference settings of the social media provider to manage how and if these appear. For more information view our Social Media Policy.
- To develop and test the effectiveness of marketing activities
We are required by law to have a specific reason for collecting and using your personal data:
- We rely on the contract between us when providing products and/or services
- In certain circumstances, we have a legal obligation to disclose your personal information to a third party, for example, to HMRC for tax purposes
- Provided your fundamental rights are not overridden, we sometimes use the fact the processing is required to pursue our legitimate interest, for example, to conduct market and brand research, undertake product, service and proposition development and direct marketing by post and telephone
- We rely on consent when using your information for direct marketing activities by SMS and email, as well as when we process certain categories of data such as health information and details of criminal convictions
Who might we share your information with and why?
We might share your information with third parties in certain circumstances including those listed below:
- The companies that comprise the Police Mutual Group in order to keep your information up to date and for direct marketing purposes
- The provider of the product you have purchased, to enable them to fulfil their contract with you
- Credit reference agencies to:
- Check your identity for the purposes of complying with the Money Laundering Regulations (the agency will note this check on your file but it will not be available to third parties and it will not affect your credit rating)
- Cleanse our data to ensure it remains accurate and up to date and to try and trace you if you move house and don’t tell us
- Specialist providers of market research, statistical analysis and customer profiling to help us improve our processes, products and services
- Providers of our IT systems and associated support services to ensure they continue to operate effectively
- Law enforcement agencies, financial services organisations and industry bodies for the purpose of fraud prevention
- Providers of printing and mailing services to produce and issue statements or other correspondence necessary to ensure you are kept suitably informed
- Specialist media providers, to manage your preferences for receiving direct marketing
- HMRC, so they can monitor compliance with ISA, pension and other applicable regulations
- Auditors and regulatory bodies, as part of their oversight of our activities
What precautions do we take to protect your information?
We take appropriate technical and organisational measures to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
If personal information is processed outside of the UK we will ensure that adequate safeguards to protect data are in place, such as, appropriate contractual arrangements and assurances. Assurances may include recognised certification schemes, such as, the US Privacy Shield.
See our Security Policy for more information.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
We will retain a record of your personal information for as long as you hold a product or use a service provided by us. We will also retain that information for a period of time after you cease holding a product or use a service to ensure we are able to comply with applicable regulatory and legal requirements. Typically, this means we will retain your information for one to six years.
If you have made an enquiry, but not taken out a product or used one of our services, or responded to any direct marketing activity we will retain a record of your personal information for up to two years.
Where you have given consent to use your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01543 441 630. Without your consent, the service we provide may be limited.
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
In some specific circumstances you may have the right to request that we provide you with the information we hold about you in an electronic format so that you can transfer it to another provider.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You can ask us to correct information you think is inaccurate.
In certain circumstances, you may have the right to object to us using your personal information, to restrict processing of your information, or to have your information deleted. You also have the right to object to your personal data being used for direct marketing purposes.
For more details or to exercise any of these rights, please contact our Member Services Team on 01543 441 630 or write to us at: Police Mutual, Member Services, Alexandra House, Queen Street, Lichfield. WS13 6QS.
If you have any concerns about the way we use your information, you can raise these with us by following our complaints procedure. To find out more click here or call 01543 441 630. You also have the right to refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office at ico.org.uk or by calling 0303 123 1113.
- Provide more details about when we share your information with third parties
- Explain that we sometimes determine that it is in our legitimate interests to contact you by post and/or telephone with information about products, services, offers and competitions
- Provide links to our Social Media and Cookie policies