Tracking down a lost pension

If you've lost track of a pension from a previous career, tracing it is easier than you might think...

If you've had jobs before you started your career with the Police, you may have been a member of a company pension scheme.

It can be easy to lose track of a pension, particularly if you started it many years ago. Most pension schemes should send you a statement every year but, if you've moved house, you may no longer receive them.

If you're unsure about what you're entitled to, it's simple to find out. If you've lost the details of any previous schemes you were in, the government's free Pension Tracing Service can help put you in touch with the scheme administrator to find out more.

You can complete an online form, which should take no more than 15 minutes, or call them on 0845 6002 537.

You'll be asked to provide as much information as possible about the pension you're trying to find, including whether you're looking for a personal or a workplace pension, details of the employer and when you think you joined the scheme.

The Pension Tracing Service has information on over 200,000 workplace and personal pension schemes and will use this database to search for your scheme. If they find it, they'll give you the name and address of your scheme provider so you can contact them direct.

For more information on retirement, pensions and life after the Police Service, visit our free online Retirement Centre.