Protect what matters most to you
Tue 21 May 2019
We know how important it is to protect the things that matter most. What’s more, getting car and home insurance that is right for you with the right level of cover can be a minefield.
The car and home insurance market is one area where you really need to keep your eyes peeled. At Police Mutual we believe in making it easy for our members, providing great protection as standard with no hidden costs.
It’s important to remember when making a decision on your insurance sometimes you have to look behind the headline policy cost.
We take a different approach compared to many insurers in the marketplace. There’s no charge for the convenience of paying by monthly instalments or admin fees for making policy changes. Plus, to make it even easier for you to look after your prized possessions we pay the cancellation fee that might be charged by your current provider, up to the value of £125. This means you can change insurers before your current policy expires.
Understanding what matters to our customers
We know home, and family time spent at home is hugely important for everyone. Last year we commissioned a survey to find out what makes a house a home for the Police family, with the aim to better understand what matters.
When asked ‘Which items would you save if your home was on fire?’ responses ranged from:
• The Essentials - family, pets, photos, phones and computers;
• The Practicals - cash, bank card, car keys, contact lenses, important documents, passport and insulin pump;
• The Sentimentals - Grandfather’s First World War medals, photos of deceased family members, daughter’s cuddly toy rabbit; and
• The Matters to Me - bed, fridge and sofa, my password list, the books I’m writing, my financial paperwork, penguin shaped vase, piece of Elvis’ hair, (full) wine rack and action figure collectibles!
It’s really interesting, but not surprising, to see how much importance people put on their personal belongings and the contents of their home, from key pieces of furniture to electricals and technology. This ties into the claims data we see, which shows that the most frequent claims we receive relate to accidental damage to contents in the home and loss and damage to personal belongings.
Not surprisingly, the research demonstrated the huge range of items that people apply sentimental value to. We know we can’t bring back the sentimental value, however we can ensure that we are there to help our members when they really need us.
What we are most proud of is our friendly Liverpool team and the service we offer, making people want to stay with us as they know they are in safe hands.
Not only that it’s the little things we believe are important, doing more to help look after your car and home – we want to ensure our members get a better policy as standard without the need to take out multiple optional extras:
• Up to £500 in Home Emergency Cover as standard on our home insurance product, providing you with immediate assistance in the event of a domestic emergency.
• If you are buying a brand new car, we offer new car replacement cover as standard for the first 2 years of ownership.
• An extra £5,000 in contents cover around religious festivals such as Christmas.
• Cover when driving a courtesy car when your car is in for a service.
• Low compulsory excesses so you don’t get stung when it comes to claiming.
• Longer cover when driving abroad, with us you are covered for 6 months compared to 3 months with many competitors.
Terms and conditions apply.
It’s no wonder on average someone insures with Police Mutual every 4 minutes*
Our car and home insurance is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. PMGI Limited, trading as Police Mutual, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England & Wales No. 1073408. Registered office: Alexandra House, Queen Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6QS. Calls to 0800 numbers are free from UK landlines and mobiles. For your security, all telephone calls are recorded and may be monitored.
*Calculation is based on 135,179 live policies which includes new business and renewals as at 3 May 2018
Type of article: Articles
Category: Protecting my belongings
Return to News and Blog