What to do when someone dies

Losing someone close to you can be very difficult, particularly when you also have to take care of financial matters.

We can help you through the process of notifying us and help you with practical guidance you’ll need to help you access any funds we hold or end any products or services ongoing with us.

Notifying us of a death

You can notify us of a death either by telephone or in writing:

Call us

Life & pension (Savings plans, Bonds or ISA)

01543 441 630 (Monday to Friday 8:30- 5:30)


01543 441 630 (Monday to Friday 9-5)

Mortgage Advice

01543 441 630 (Monday to Friday 9-5)

General insurance (Home and car insurance)

0151 242 7640 (Monday to Friday 9-5)

Financial Advice

Call Tenet Connect Limited 0113 239 0011

Write to us

Police Mutual

Building 3

Lichfield South

Birmingham Road



WS14 0QP

Things you may need to provide depending on the product or service:

  • An original death certificate.
  • Proof of your identity
  • Grant of probate

Obtaining grant of probate

Probate refers to the right to manage the affairs of the deceased. For Police Mutual Life and Pension plans, we will require this when the total value of the account held in the deceased name is more than £20,000.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, if there's a will, you'll need to apply for a 'grant of probate'

If there's no will, you'll need to apply for a 'grant of letters of administration'

In Scotland, both of the above are referred to as a 'certificate of confirmation'

Member care line

At what is a very difficult time it may be beneficial to speak to someone outside your immediate circle of family and friends; Police Mutual is committed to supporting members and their family through a free Care Line, the service offers practical and emotional support when you need it. We offer this service through our partner Health Assured, and it is provided by experienced advisers who are qualified in supporting people through bereavement. The service is completely free, confidential and all callers will be treated with sensitivity and compassion.

If you wish to contact the Care Line you can do so by calling 0800 028 1708. Alternatively you can look at the e-portal & app yourselves:

Health & Wellbeing e-portal

Username: policemutual

Password: careline

Health & Wellbeing App

Username: policemutual

Password: careline

Glossary of terms

We have also compiled a list of some of the words and terms you may see when dealing with the financial affairs of a family member. Don’t forget if there is anything you are having trouble understanding one of our team is at the end of the phone to help. Just call 01543 441 630.

: a person who inherits part or all of the estate.

Confirmation of estate: a document giving the authority to administer an estate in Scotland.

Death certificate: the legal document issued by the registry office after a death has been registered.

Estate: all assets belonging to the deceased.

Executor: a person appointed by a will to administer the estate.

Letters of administration: a document giving the authority to administer an estate where there is no will.

Grant of probate: a document giving the authority to administer an estate in accordance with the will.

Inheritance tax: a tax paid to HMRC on the estate of the deceased.