Home Insurance

All part of the service

  • Interest free monthly payments
  • No charge for making mid-term policy amendments.
    Please note an administration fee may apply for policy cancellation.
  • We will pay any cancellation fees up to the value of £125 from your existing insurance provider
  • Domestic emergency cover as standard (up to £500 per claim)
  • £75,000 contents cover as standard (including contents in outbuildings)
  • £1,000,000 buildings cover as standard (including outbuildings)
  • Alternative accommodation following an insured loss

Terms & conditions apply

 Other things you should know

You can pay your premiums monthly by Direct Debit if you want to. And unlike many other insurers, we won't charge you extra on top of your normal yearly premium.


You need to think about all the things you have within your home and how much it would cost to replace them as new. Check your receipts and prices of items as you'll probably be surprised how much it will add up to.

We provide £75,000 contents cover as standard (including contents in outbuildings).


You need to work out how much it would cost to rebuild your home. Consider things such as demolition costs, surveyor's fees and the actual cost to rebuild your home.

We provide £1,000,000 buildings cover as standard (including outbuildings).

Call our UK based claim line on 0151 242 7640 (Open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm)

If you'd like to make a claim against your Home Emergency Cover, please call 0333 000 7965, this is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a week and is provided by ARAG Insurance.

Buildings are the structure of your home including outbuildings such as garages and sheds, including their permanent fixtures and fittings e.g bathrooms and fitted kitchens.

You can add them to the personal possession section of your contents quote, which covers accidental loss, damage or theft cover to any of your personal belongings (such as jewellery items, cameras and mobile phones) worldwide.

Our minimum cover is £2,000, with no single item worth more than £2,000. If you have a single item worth more than this amount, it needs to be specified on your policy, which can be done when you obtain a quote.

Contents are the items you use to furnish your home such as carpets and furniture also including all your personal belongings e.g. jewellery and clothing.

When we refer to "valuables" we mean:

  • Stamp, coin or medal collections
  • Pictures
  • Other works of art
  • Items of gold, silver or any other precious metal
  • Jewellery
  • Furs.

If you need to make a change such as a change of address or requiring a new level of cover, just call our UK based help line and we'll be happy to help.

If there is a change in your premium we'll let you know.

Call us on 0151 242 7640 (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm)

If you need to cancel your policy, just call our UK based help line and we'll be happy to help.

Please note, if you cancel your Police Mutual insurance policy within 14 days of receiving your policy documents, you will only be charged for the period of time you have been covered. If you cancel the policy more than 14 days after receiving your policy documents, you will be charged for the period of time you've been covered plus we will charge a £40 administration fee for cancelling the policy.

Call us on 0151 242 7640 (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm)

Standard cover insures against the main perils such as fire, theft and escape of water.

Under buildings insurance we automatically include accidental damage to sanitary fixtures, underground pipes and cables and fixed glass.

Under contents insurance we automatically include accidental damage to audio/visual equipment including TV's, Hi-Fi's and desk top computers.

Extended accidental damage is available as an extra under both buildings and contents insurance to cover any damage that may be caused by you or your family including examples such as putting a nail in a wall and bursting a pipe, or spilling wine or paint on your carpet.

We give you the option to upgrade your cover to ensure that if part of a pair, set or suite is damaged, lost or stolen, we will pay the cost of replacing any undamaged items if they cannot be matched. Under the buildings section this would cover your bathroom and kitchen. The contents section will include items such as a 3 piece suite or dining room furniture.

We automatically provide cover up to £5000 for your child's belongings kept within temporary accommodation while at university. Cover can extend to outside the accommodation if personal belongings cover is selected.

You can pay by your policy either annually or monthly via direct debit, and unlike many other insurers, we won't charge you extra on top of your normal annual premium.

If this policy does not meet your requirements, our specialist advisors will be happy to discuss your needs. Please call us on 0151 242 7640 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Home Emergency Cover provides immediate assistance for a number of domestic emergencies.

Cover is provided 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will pay up to £500 for parts, materials and labour charges. Emergency situations that may arise include the breakdown of the main heating supply, plumbing and drainage problems, loss of domestic power supply and roof damage.

Family legal protection helps protect you and your family should you need to pursue or defend your legal rights. It is designed to help in a number of situations including

  • The sale or purchase of goods and services.
  • If your identity is used by another person to commit fraud or other crimes.
  • If you have an employment dispute such as a claim for unfair dismissal or redundancy, or if during the course of your employment a criminal charge is or could be brought against you.
  • Pursuing a claim for death or injury against a negligent third party
  • Disputes with your neighbours regarding a boundary dispute, noise or other legal nuisance

Please note: The cost of legal cover (£16.50 including insurance premium tax) will be included within the quote if the option is selected.


Home Insurance is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. Visit our legal page for further details.

It's important you understand all of the Key Information for Home Insurance. We recommend you read all of the policy documents before you get a quote or buy and keep it in a safe place.

These products are arranged and administered by PMGI Limited trading as Police Mutual, more information is available on our legal page.