This article was published on Thu 27 Jan 2022. At the time of publishing, this article was true and accurate, however, over time this may have changed. If you have any concerns about this please contact us

Rules for Driving in Europe After Brexit

Thu 27 Jan 2022

To help clarify rules for driving in the EU after Brexit, we have answered your top questions, from UK car insurance inclusions to driving licenses in Europe.

Rules for Driving in Europe After Brexit

Taking a vehicle on holiday is a great way to give yourself the freedom to explore. You won’t have to rely on public transport and you can pack as much as you can fit into your car!

It’s easy to hop onto a ferry in your car and set sail for your European escape. Locations such as Ireland, France, and the Netherlands are just waiting to be explored, and in your car you don’t have to leave any stone unturned.

Before you head out on your road trip, there are a few new rules for driving abroad after Brexit that you need to bear in mind. 

What are the rules on driving in the EU?

From August 2021, you no longer need a Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card) to travel in the European Economic Area. This includes all European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. This is a change from previously when a Green Card was required. However, a Green Card may be needed in countries outside of Europe so it is worth double-checking before you set off.

You also won’t need an International Driving Permit (IDP) if you have a UK photocard driving license but you may need one if you have either:

  • A paper driving license
  • A license issued in Gibraltar, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

If you have one it’s probably best to take an IDP with you just in case you enter a country that asks for it! You can apply for one at an issuing Post Office - you just need to be 18 years or over with a valid UK driving license.

What do I need with me to drive in Europe?

  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • The logbook for the vehicle you’re driving
  • Your driving license
  • A UK sticker displayed clearly on the rear of your vehicle (this used to be GB but has changed since 28 September 2021).*

*If your number plate includes a UK identifier with the Union Jack flag, you don’t need a UK sticker.

What car insurance is needed to drive in Europe?

All UK vehicle insurance provides the minimum third party cover to drive in Europe (including Ireland), you just need to make sure you have your policy documents with you. Breakdown cover isn’t legally required but you may decide to take it as an added extra. No one wants to feel stranded in a different country, especially if you don’t speak the language!

Police Mutual Rescue car breakdown cover includes optional European cover which would return you and your vehicle to the UK if needed.

As of 2nd August 2021 unless you’re travelling to Moldova, Montenegro or North Macedonia, you’ll no longer need a green card when travelling to countries in the European Economic Area. A green card is just a document that proves you have the correct car insurance for the country you are in. However, now all you need is your normal UK motor insurance policy documents with you.

Finding out more about Police Mutual Car Insurance and Police Mutual Rescue policies:

Police Mutual provides car insurance for serving and retired Police Officers and Staff, Specials and their families. For more information about our Car Insurance and how you could benefit, click here or call 0151 242 7640.

Police Mutual Car Insurance is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd. Police Mutual Rescue (Breakdown Cover) is provided by ERS (Syndicate 218 at Lloyd’s), managed by IQUW Syndicate Management Limited.

PMGI Limited, trading as Police Mutual is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No. 114942. Registered in England & Wales No. 1073408. Registered office: 55 Gracechurch Street, London, EC3V 0RL.

For your security, all telephone calls are recorded and may be monitored.

Type of article: Articles
Category: Life events

Return to News and Blog