Car Insurance

Switching could save you money…


Even if you're not due to renew your car insurance right now, there's no better time to switch.






Get a quote today - call us on 0800 032 2610

Car Insurance Benefits

When did you last check your current policy? 

All our comprehensive policies include the following as standard:

  • Lifetime no claims discount, subject to eligibility
  • Uninsured driver cover
  • 2 years new car replacement
  • Courtesy car following an accident or theft
  • Lifetime guarantee on repairs
  • Optional breakdown and legal protection cover
    Terms and conditions apply

All policies provided by RSA have no hidden costs or admin fees for changes and have interest free monthly payment options.

^Receive a £25 M&S voucher for every new car or home insurance policy you take out from 1 October 2014 with a policy start date before 30 November 2014. Full terms and conditions of this offer are available by emailing us on

It's important you understand all of the key facts summary for Car Insurance.

We recommend you read the document below before you apply and keep it in a safe place.

This could suit you if you want:

  • An interest free monthly payment option.
  • No administration fees for changes to your policy.
  • A lifetime no claims discount.
  • A lifetime guarantee on repairs.

Terms and conditions apply

Other things you should know

Can I pay monthly?

You can pay your premiums monthly by Direct Debit if you want to. And unlike many other insurers, we won't charge you extra on top of your normal yearly premium.

(subject to terms and conditions)

How do I change my policy?

If you need to make a change such as a change of car or requiring a new level of cover, just call our UK based help line and we'll be happy to help.

If there is a change in your premium we'll let you know.

Call us on 0800 032 2610 (Mon - Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm and Sat 9am - 1.00pm)

How do I cancel my policy?

If you need to cancel your policy, just call our UK based help line and we'll be happy to help.

Call us on 0800 032 2610 (Mon - Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm and Sat 9am - 1.00pm)

Do I get a courtesy car?

You get a courtesy car as standard while your vehicle is at an insurer-recommended repairer. So you don't have to worry about organising one yourself.

Can you provide me with a quote for my classic car?

Please call us to discuss this further on 0800 032 2610

My car has been modified; will you be able to provide cover?

Please call us to discuss this further on 0800 032 2610

I take my car to Europe at least 5 months of the year. Can you provide cover?

Cover is provided up to 180 days per year. If additional cover is required please call us on 0800 032 2610

Who is allowed to drive my car?

Cover will be provided for anyone allowed by the Certificate of Motor Insurance to drive your car, as long as they are driving the car with your permission.

What is policy excess?

Policy excess is the part of claim that you agree to pay - the car insurance covers you for the remaining amount.

What is a no claims discount/bonus?

No claims discounts/bonus represents the number of years you have held a policy without making a claim or having a claim made against you.

How do I know if I’m covered?

The car insurance claims advisors are fully trained and have an excellent knowledge of the policy cover you have arranged. Wherever possible, they will let you know during your first call whether your claim is covered by your policy. It may help you to read through the policy document along with your schedule of cover before ringing to report your claim.

Is immediate cover available?

If you buy your policy online or over the phone immediate cover is available.

Does my car insurance cover me to use my car for business use?

Social, domestic and pleasure including commuting policies only cover travel to and from your usual place of business. That is fine for most members of the public but Police Officers may be stationed at one place but have to travel elsewhere for training, going to court, visiting headquarters or simply helping to fill a temporary need at another division. Any of these journeys are NOT insured. There are occasions where travel to and from your normal place of business will not be covered by a Social, domestic and pleasure including commuting policy. For example, you go into work but get sent home to change clothes for operational reasons and then return to your normal station. That journey is official and you are on duty and therefore not covered unless you choose to include business use.

If I have a claim for windscreen damage, does it affect my No Claim Discount?

No, windscreen claims do not affect your No Claim Discount.

What is accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage is covered on comprehensive policies. This covers you for damage to your car as well as the third party's vehicle after an accident.

Are child seats replaced after an accident?

Yes, if you have a child car seat in your car and your car is involved in an accident that results in impact damage to your car, we will replace the child seat with a new one of the same quality, even if it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Do I have to show my car insurance certificate when I use my car abroad?

When you take your car abroad the cover you have is shown on your insurance certificate so you must always take this with you.

Does my car insurance cover me to drive other vehicles?

Depending on the level of car insurance cover you have chosen, you may be able to drive other cars at third party cover (with the owner's permission). You will need to check this on your insurance policy documents.

How do I make a claim on my car insurance?

To make a car insurance claim, call us on 0845 603 4325 during office hours or 0800 096 3434 out of hours and the adviser will give you further information of what to do. You can find more information about making a claim on your car insurance in the claims section.

Do I have to pay the excess towards a Third Party claim?

No, you only need to pay the excess towards your own repairs.

Are factory fitted options classed as modifications to my car?

No factory fitted options are not classed as modifications. A modification is anything made after the car leaves the factory that alters the standard specification or the appearance of the car. The fittings should be declared as part of the overall value of the vehicle.

How do I add another driver to my car insurance policy?

If you want to add another driver to your existing policy, please call us on 0800 032 2610. You will need the following information about the other driver:

  • Their name;
  • Date of birth;
  • Occupation;
  • Driving licence details; and
  • Their driving experience (such as any previous claims or motoring convictions).

It's important you understand all of the key facts summary for Car Insurance.

We recommend you read the document below before you apply and keep it in a safe place.

Police Mutual car insurance is arranged and administered by PMGI Limited through Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA) and is available for those normally resident in the UK (Excluding Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man). If you are not eligible for the RSA product we also offer access to a panel of insurers. Breakdown cover provided by Equity Red Star Services Ltd and legal expenses provided by First Assist and underwritten by Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) Ltd.